Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Radiator shroud & fans

 There is no room for stock EA fans, although one of them would fit with a little trimming.  I decided to build a shroud and use electric puller fans.  I want to reserve the space where the condenser goes so that I retain the option to get my AC installed and going without having to re-do any of the work for the cooling system.  Pusher fans would take that space, plus with the cyclops light on the Brat there is even less room behind the grill for extra fans.  I settled on the following design.  There is about 10" on the left side of the crank pulley where the motor sits 3.5" away from the timing belt cover.  There is about 6 inches on the right side of the crank pulley where the timing belt cover is 3.5" away from the radiator.  

 

 

A 10" fan fits nicely on the left but a 6" seems to approach too closely to the crank pulley for comfort.  So I opted to install two 5" fans on the right so the crank pulley can nest down inside, with the 10" fan on the left. The shroud serves to hold the fan in place and also to force the fan to draw air through the radiator.  If there was no shroud, some air would come through the radiator but most would just come from around the radiator.  Using a shroud essentially turns the puller fan into a vacuum that forces air through the radiator. 




I cut the holes into a sheet of 16ga steel which if I was doing it again I would probably make from aluminum and maybe a lighter gauge.  It is heavier than I anticipated.  I cut the holes and I'll decide how to secure the fans.  I may just drill through and use a button head screw, but I might also weld tabs on the motor side and use the captive nut slots on the SPAL fans.  They are lo-profile and are really quite slim, they seem high quality, I'm glad to have laid out the extra money for the SPAL name instead of a generic fan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment