Sunday, October 25, 2020

Fuel line reconsideration

 My new fuel pump was dripping gas at the high pressure side, and when I tried to snug it up the plastic cracked. place. 



 Lamenting the destruction of my second fuel pump, I also realized my gut feeling that having all the fuel stuff (surge tank, high pressure pump) under the hood right next to the engine was unnecessary risk for vehicle fire. The leaking pump really drove it home that it wasn’t some far of chance of gasoline spewing out into the hot engine at some point. So I took a step back and removed my pump bracket, surge tank and am finding homes for them back by the gas tank where they can leak as much as they like without causing me stress. Since this move was slowing down my chances of actually driving the car this October, I decided to embrace the schedule adjustment and take time to do some things the right way instead of rushing. I mounted my surge tank on the passenger side rail opposite the stock pump.  I bent a 5/16 hard line to replace the 1/4 return line and another to carry the supply from the low pressure pump across the car to the surge tank. 



I still need to bend one more line. Bending lines is super fun old man stuff. I’m also going to replace the chewed up insulation behind the seats with some more insulating sound deadening material.  

You can see my new return line clipped into place. 





No comments:

Post a Comment